in progress…

I spent my weekend simultaneously painting my behemoth of a built-in bookcase and caring for my ill 4 year old.  My poor baby’s had the crud since last tuesday when his teacher told me not to even bother bringing him to school the next day. He was better by the weekend… so much better in fact that we let him go on an outing with some friends. By sunday he was relapsing with the fever and headache, along with the nasty cough. He is much better today, but I don’t want another relapse, so this afternoon, it’s off to the doctor’s we go, since he might need antibiotics to really kick it. It also didn’t help that on saturday he discovered inside his backpack, a box of chocolate milk he’d forgotten about from school (since tuesday!!!). Imagine my horror when I found out that he’d made a tasty snack of it. Yikes, and double yikes! Luckily he didn’t have any tummy problems from it, but I wonder if that caused the relapse? Gotta love 4yr old boys…

Anyway, here’s the bookcase, phase 1 of my family room re-do.  This is a room I’ve avoided being in because I didn’t quite know how to lighten it up to my taste.  The room faces south, so it doesn’t get a lot of light. Adding to the cave-like feel is all the knotted pine in dark yellowish/orangish stain. In my attempt to work work with the existing color of wood trim, I painted the walls this unfortunate color yellow. It didn’t look so yellow in the can…It was hard to get a good pic, but I hope you see the beginnings of the transformation. Yes, I know the wood is beautiful and some would consider it a sacrilege to paint over it, but it’s not for me…too cabin-like.







the ill 4yr old who’s doing much better insisted on getting in the pic


Here’s a close-up of the paint job:


I love the way it turned out, don’t you?

Here’s what I did:

1. Wiped down the whole thing with a mixture of TSP and water to get rid of dirt and dust.

2. I did NOT sand at all. Why? Because I primed with Zinsser B-I-N primer, which seals in any knots and stains and adheres to slick surfaces. I did   one coat, but I will do 2 in the future because:

3. I painted 2 coats of paint. After the first coat, I wasn’t happy with the coverage. If I’d used 2 coats of primer, I’m certain that one coat of paint would’ve sufficed.  I used Behr Premium paint in Ultra Pure White. I’m letting the paint cure for a couple of days before putting anything on the shelves to prevent scratches. I did my pantry shelves the same way and had no problems with peeling or scratching.

Gawd, I have so much painting to do! Just imagine, not only my family room, but also my kitchen walls and cabinets are paneled like this. Fun, fun.


Knock this off: Storage Headboard

Well it’s springtime, and I’m in full home decor/rearrange mode again.  I had been wanting to get to work on our Master Bedroom, and had a few projects and dilemmas lined up.  As you may know, with home projects one project often-times depends on another.  For instance, I had planned on rearranging the room but we planned on laying down laminate floors, so it would be pointless to move everything around just to move it all out again.  This is a project we had planned on doing since last March.  We had the supplies, but since we were doing it DIY style, we had to do it when we could.  Well, we finally got around to the floors this past weekend.  We spent all day Saturday laying down the flooring and now I can move on to the other projects, yay me!  I’m still sore all over, but the floors look smashing, and it totally changes the mood of the room!

One of the major dilemmas for the room had to do with the positioning of the bed.  The geniuses who installed the duct work thought the lone vent in the room would be perfect in the most logical place the bed!  (Gotta love old homes and all the retrofitting involved). Since we have a king sized bed, this poses a problem.  I didn’t really think it would be the best move to heat/cool just under our bed!  As an added dilemma, there is no space for beside tables on which to place books/magazines, lamps, a glass of water, etc.   Since The Man refuses to downsize to a queen or full, I had to find a creative solution. I have mulled this over for the past few months, but I believe I have found the right solution!

Enter the Bookcase headboard! I knew I would have to build some kind of shelf behind the headboard, and I came up with a few ideas, but I think this is by far the best.  I saw this on, and I can’t wait to get it done.  I already have 2 small Ikea bookshelves (Flarke, discontinued, damn!).  They are a bit short, so I think I will build a box base to raise them up so that we can use more of the shelves. I will also make a headboard to go across the bottom part of the bookshelves so that we are not bumping our heads agains the shelves.  I will post pics when the project is done.